In 2015, PERC . . .
- Sheltered 31,603 men, women, and families - up 7.5% from 2014.
- Served 126,336 meals through our soup kitchen - up 8% from 2014.
- Distributed 2,412 boxes of healthy groceries to low-income families through our food pantry.
- Moved 196 of our shelter guests into permanent housing.
- Made 392 social service referrals.
- Welcomed 881 unduplicated guests.
POVERTY IN AMERICA
- The US ranks #2 among the developed nations with the highest poverty rates (UNESCO)
- 43.6 million Americans (14.3%) are in poverty. (2009 Census Dept statistics)
- 15 million American children under the age of 18 (20%) were in poverty. (2009 statistics)
- 11% of families were in poverty in 2009.
- 44% of children in families headed by single women were poor in 2009.
- 3.9 million American seniors over age 65 (8.9%) were in poverty.
- 95 million Americans experience homelessness or housing issues (short term stays with family and friends; sleeping in cars; rooms with no heat, hot water, electricity, toilets).
- Nearly 15 million people were unemployed as of September 2010 in the United States - that's almost one in 10 people.
- In 2009, the poverty threshold for a family of four was an annual income of $21,954. Less than half of that is considered extreme poverty.
- Over 36 million Americans experience food insecurity each year.
Translate This Page